Board of Control for Cricket in India’s acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary, on Monday, confirmed that the letter that urged the International Cricket Council and its member nations to sever ties with countries which harbour terror, was rejected during the boarding meetings in Dubai.
The Indian board’s request, was reportedly turned down by the ICC, saying the governing body has no role to play in matters like these.
BCCI official takes U-turn!
Indian cricket board s acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary on Monday washed his hands off the BCCI letter that urged the ICC and its member nations to sever ties with Pakistan.
The BCCI s request was turned down by the International Cricket Council (ICC), saying it has no role to play in matters like these.
When asked at the press conference whether it was a mistake not to have named Pakistan specifically in the letter, Choudhary said: “I have not written the letter.”
The letter to the ICC, in the aftermath of the attack in Pulwama, was framed by BCCI CEO Rahul Johri in consultation with the Committee of Administrators (CoA).
“The chairman of the ICC (Shashank Manohar) has made a statement to address the issue and he has simply said that it is a matter which is beyond ICC s domain,” said Choudhary.
“I would like to put everything to rest that there is no difference of opinion. There was a written communication by the BCCI CEO with the ICC. There were two points in that communication – the first point related to the security and wellbeing of the players and of the fans also,” he said when asked whether the BCCI had erred in making this proposal.
Citing contents of the letter, Choudhary said the BCCI s primary concern ahead of the World Cup is players security.
“The second matter related to suggesting that India and other members of the ICC take no part with teams which comes from areas where certain phenomenon emanate from, but the letter didn’t mention which areas.”
To which the ICC chairman, after discussing it with the Board which is the only policy making body of the ICC, stated that it is not within the domain of the ICC to make a comment or make a decision.
“The BCCI s concerns were, as I said, primarily, according to the letter, security concerns relating to players and fans which the ICC has wholeheartedly agreed to address. And the ECB representative Colin Grave was of the same view,” he added.
Cries of no cricketing ties with Pakistan has been growing with every passing second, which has put dark clouds over the fixture between the two countries in the upcoming World Cup.
Pakistan’s World Cup 2019 clash with India is not under threat and is expected to go ahead as planned, according to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) General Manager Strategic Communications, Claire Furlong.
The blockbuster June 16 fixture between the two neighbours had faced uncertainty in the aftermath of last week’s Pulwama incident as reports emerged that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is trying to get Pakistan banned from the tournament.
This is the latest development in a breakdown in relations between the two nations after Pulwama Attack on Thursday, February 14.