Steve Smith and David Warner’s preparations for their long-awaited World Cup returns could both be thrown into chaos, with the latter set to follow his ex-skipper home from Bangladesh with an elbow injury.
Just six days after Smith left the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) to have surgery on his elbow, Cricket Australia (CA) confirmed Warner would also head home to seek medical assessment on the same joint.
But while Smith faces a prolonged period on the sideline, Warner’s outlook appears somewhat better – with the opener free to play two more games in Bangladesh before heading home on Monday.
“David has reported some pain in his right elbow,” a CA spokesman said.
“He will return to Australia on Monday January 21 to be assessed, but is expected to play in remaining BPL matches until his return. We will have a clearer understanding of the extent of his injury once he has been assessed.”
Warner to undergo surgery on injured elbow:
Banned former Australian vice-captain David Warner is expected to undergo minor surgery on his elbow after returning home from the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) with an injury.
Warner, alongside former skipper Steve Smith and batsman Cameron Bancroft, was suspended from international cricket over a ball-tampering scandal during a Test match in South Africa last March.
The 32-year-old returned to Australia last week following a stint with the Sylhet Sixers in the Bangladesh T20 tournament after he reported pain in his right elbow.
Warner’s elbow will be assessed in Melbourne on Tuesday, before he is expected to undergo minor surgery, cricket.com.au reported Monday.
Cricket Australia’s website said Warner’s condition was not believed to be as serious as the elbow injury sustained by Smith, also in the Bangladesh tournament.
Smith, 29, underwent surgery last week and is expected to spend six weeks in a brace before extensive rehabilitation.
Both players’ bans end in late March. Bancroft’s has already finished.
Smith’s injury could affect his chances of being picked in the national side for the World Cup starting in May, as well as the Ashes series — also in England — later this year.
Warner and Smith’s 12-month bans stemming from the ball-tampering scandal end on March 29, and it had previously been suggested the pair could play at least some of a yet-to-be scheduled one-day series against Pakistan in the UAE.
Smith’s hopes of that are almost certainly shot though, the prominent run-scorer facing six weeks in a brace following Tuesday’s surgery for a ligament injury.
He is however expected to return well in time for Australia’s first match at the World Cup in England on 1 June.