ICC News

ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar gave a ‘Shut Up’ call to BCCI

Pakistan’s World Cup 2019 clash with India is not under threat and is expected to go ahead as planned, according to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) General Manager Strategic Communications, Claire Furlong.

Cries of no cricketing ties with Pakistan has been growing with every passing second, which has put dark clouds over the fixture between the two countries in the upcoming World Cup.

The blockbuster June 16 fixture between the two neighbours had faced uncertainty in the aftermath of last week’s Pulwama incident as reports emerged that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is trying to get Pakistan banned from the tournament.

Photo: Getty Images

This is the latest development in a breakdown in relations between the two nations after Pulwama Attack on Thursday, February 14.

Earlier, BCCI and The Chairman of CoA Vinod Rai quoted that they are looking to make Pakistan isolated in the International cricket. Regarding the same, they wanted the other boards in the International cricket to cut off their ties with Pakistan.

BCCI chief executive Rahul Johri, wrote to ICC chief executive Dave Richardson and chairman Shashank Manohar to bring the Pulwama incident to ICC’s notice, and reiterated that the attack was carried out by an “outfit based in Pakistan” — an allegation that has been vehemently and repeatedly denied.

The BCCI, in its email to ICC officials, urged “the cricket community to sever ties with countries from which terrorism emanates”.

Now, ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar has given a ‘Shut Up’ call to BCCI

The International Cricket Council has turned down the Indian cricket board’s request to ‘sever ties with countries’ from which ‘terrorism emanates’, saying the international governing body has no role to play in matters like these, reported ESPNcricinfo.

“There was no chance that anything like that would have happened. The ICC chairman made it clear that the decision to ostracize a nation is taken at the government level and ICC had no rule. The BCCI knew it all along but still took a chance,” a BCCI official told news agency PTI on conditions of anonymity.

The BCCI letter did not make a specific reference to Pakistan, which has been accused of harbouring terrorists by India.

“ESPNcricinfo reported that Shashank Manohar, the ICC chairman, brought up the matter towards the end of the quarterly Board meeting on Saturday and said it would not be possible to follow that proposal.”

The issue came up during Saturday’s ICC board meeting chaired by chairman Shashank Manohar but not much time was spent on it. The BCCI was represented at the board by acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary.

Manohar raised the topic himself, briefing the Board about receiving the BCCI letter and saying that the ICC’s primary duty concerned cricket.

“So many players from member nations play the Pakistan Super League and they would have never entertained such a request. Yes, security was a concern and it had been duly addressed.

The ICC, during the board meeting, reassured members regarding security ahead of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in light of the recent communication from BCCI and confirmed that as is normal practice this will continue to be monitored through to the end of the event.

ICC CEO David Richardson said: “As you would expect for a global sporting event, the ICC, in partnership with the ECB has a robust security plan in place for the Men’s Cricket World Cup. We work closely with the authorities in our host countries to ensure that the safety of players, officials and fans is a priority.”

“Should those authorities raise the threat level of the event based on intelligence, we will of course uplift our security commitment as appropriate. We will continue to work with the ECB and our Members throughout the build up to and during the tournament to keep everyone abreast of the situation.”

1 Comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top