INDO-PAK Clash

Kapil Dev has his say on India-Pakistan World Cup clash

Pakistan’s World Cup 2019 clash with India is not under threat and is expected to go ahead as planned, according to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) General Manager Strategic Communications, Claire Furlong.

Cries of no cricketing ties with Pakistan has been growing with every passing second, which has put dark clouds over the fixture between the two countries in the upcoming World Cup.

The blockbuster June 16 fixture between the two neighbours had faced uncertainty in the aftermath of last week’s Pulwama incident as reports emerged that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is trying to get Pakistan banned from the tournament.

Photo: Getty Images

This is the latest development in a breakdown in relations between the two nations after Pulwama Attack on Thursday, February 14.

The attack has seen an angry backlash in India, with cricketers like Sourav Ganguly, Harbhajan Singh all demanding retribution while Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar said a boycott would be like a defeat to Pakistan.

Harbhajan initially called for India to pull out of the tournament, saying: “World Cup is very small when it comes to the country…It’s not right to keep playing sports with Pakistan when our soldiers are dying.”

Former captain Ganguly echoed Harbhajan’s sentiments, arguing: “I feel if India doesn’t play a match in the World Cup, it won’t be an issue. I feel it will be really difficult for the ICC to go on with a World Cup without India.”

“I agree that after this attack, Indian should not only stop playing cricket, hockey or football with Pakistan but should cut all ties with them.”

“India has always come up trumps against Pakistan in the World Cup. Time to beat them once again. Would personally hate to give them two points and help them in the tournament,” Tendulkar said on Twitter.

“Who wins if India decide against playing Pakistan in the World Cup? And I am not even talking about the semis and the finals. Who wins? Pakistan win because they get two points,” Gavaskar told India Today.

Kapil Dev has his say on India-Pakistan World Cup clash;

India’s first World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev has put his weight behind the upcoming India-Pakistan World Cup clash.

Kapil Dev believes the World Cup is not all about India-Pakistan encounter. The ODI showpiece is an International event, in which all the participating teams should play each other with the same zest.

“World Cup is not about India-Pakistan relations only. It is an international event and we should not talk about boycotting an international event because of Pakistan’s PM or anything else,” said Kapil Dev in ABP NEWS Shikhar Sammelan 2019.

Sportspersons should never be asked not to play, said Kapil Dev. (Photo: Reuters / The Quint)

“To play or not to play is something which does not have to be decided by people like us. It has to be decided by the government. It’s better if we don’t give an opinion and leave it to the government and concerned people. Whatever they decide will be in the interest of the nation. We’ll do what they want,” he said at an event in Pune on Friday.

He believe that sports-persons should never be asked to not to play. The players have known to play the game from their childhood days and they should be backed to play.

“Sportspersons should never be asked not to play. Being a cricketer myself, I know how that might feel. Playing is the only thing we know and that’s what it should be,” Kapil added.

Kapil Dev backed the CoA’s decision to leave the matter to ICC. 

“ICC should take a call on whether to ban Pakistan or not. I would only say that cricket should not be hampered in any way.”

Earlier, Virat Kohli breaks his silence on Pakistan-India clash and said that the Indian cricket team will stand by what the Indian government and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) decide.

We will go by what the govt and the Board decide, we will respect that, said Virat Kohli. Photo: Getty Images

Addressing a presser conference on the eve of India s first T20I against Australia, Virat Kohli spoke on the matter in response to a question regarding the team’s stance on the situation.

“Our sincere condolences to the families of CRPF soldiers who lost their lives in PulwamaAttack. We stand by what the nation wants to do and what the BCCI decides to do. We will go by what the govt and the Board decide, we will respect that,” Virat told the reporters.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top