In the wake of the Pulwama attackt, the calls to boycott the game Pakistan in the upcoming World Cup is gathering steam with every passing moment.
While the Indian public has been hell bent to see the BCCI take the decision and boycott Pakistan, several big names from the cricketing fraternity have also joined in.
Over 40 Indian paramilitary troops were killed in the attack when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into a CRPF bus in Pulwama district on Thursday.
India are set to lock horns against their arch-rivals on June 16 in Manchester. However, with the public demanding the boycott of the game.
Earlier, the poster of the Pakistan cricket team has been taken down from the BCCI headquarters in Mumbai.
This comes after a Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) revealed that any decision regarding India boycotting their match against Pakistan at the upcoming World Cup in England will be made by the government closer to the tournament.
“Situation will get clearer after some time, a little closer to the World Cup. ICC has nothing to do with it. If the government at that point in time feels we shouldn’t play, it’s obvious that we won’t play”, ANI quoted a BCCI source as saying.
Earlier, Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Wednesday called for severing all sporting ties with Pakistan in the wake of the Pulwama attack.
Ganguly echoed the sentiments of former teammate Harbhajan Singh by stating that not playing Pakistan in the group stages of the World Cup won’t affect India’s chances of reaching the semi-finals.
However, Ganguly didn’t elaborate on what India’s stand should be if they meet Pakistan in the semi-final or final. “This is a 10-team World Cup and each team plays matches against every other team. I feel if India doesn’t play a match in the World Cup, it won’t be an issue,” Ganguly told India TV.
“I feel it will be really difficult for ICC [International Cricket Council] to go on with a World Cup without India. But, you also have to see if India has the power to stop ICC from doing such a thing. But, personally I feel a strong message should be sent,” he added.
Ganguly said India should to cut off all ties with Pakistan. “And, whatever reactions came from the people of India…was right,” he said.
While at other said Indian Media is bashing Indian skipper Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni for remaining silent against Pakistan.
During a show on Republic TV, Former Athlete Ashwini Nachappa said that “The very fact that they (Sachin, Dhoni) haven’t spoken so far, acknowledged the incident so far is not right”
In the same show, Indian anchor Arnab Goswami asked Doni and Kohli to boycott playing against Pakistan. He said, “Dhoni you wear the Indian uniform and gonna play against Pakistan, Kohli you gonna captain the side against Pakistan?”
“26000 tickets have been sold for INDO-PAK match at OLD Trafford, I called for every Indian national who has bought the ticket to burn the ticket. There should be no cricket with Pakistan,” he further said.
Here’s the video:
— Republic (@republic) February 20, 2019
Earlier ICC chief Dave Richardson said that, “World Cup matches will go ahead as planned”
Pakistan and India World Cup 2019 match will go ahead despite the tensions between two countries in the wake of Pulwama attack, International Cricket Council (ICC) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) David Richardso said.
David Richardson told ESPNcricinfo that that ‘no indications’ have been sent from either board about the World Cup clash not taking place. “We haven’t written to the boards as yet.”
India vs Pakistan is a high-profile World Cup match at Manchester on June 16. It promises to be the mother of all battles within the war to win cricket’s ultimate glory. Pakistan and India World Cup clash is scheduled on June 16 in Manchester.
Richardson added ICC is monitoring the situation with its members including Pakistan Cricket Board and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
“Certainly there are no indications any of the matches, including the Pakistan-India match, will not be played as planned at the World Cup. But as I say we will continue to monitor the situation.”