Cricket Australia (CA) CEO Kevin Roberts on Friday said Steve Smith and David Warner’s performances in the upcoming T20 leagues around the world will play a vital role in deciding the banned duo’s selection in next year’s World Cup squad.
Smith and Warner will be competing in the Pakistan Super League. Bangladesh Premier League and the Indian Premier League in 2019.
Former Australia captain Steve Smith will make his comeback to cricket at the 2019 Pakistan Super League (PSL) competition while David Warner turned down PSL management’s request to participate in the league.
Steve Simth has been snaffled by the Sixth team which has been bought by Ali Khan Tareen, The son of Pakistan Politician Jahangir Khan Tareen.
Smith was placed in the Platinum Category for the drafts and it is no surprise that he has found a team as soon as his name went under the hammer. He will be earning between US $140,000 and $230,000 which is approximately Rs 1 Crore – Rs 1.64 Crore for his services to the team.
Earlier, The BCB has upheld the BPL governing council’s decision to not allow Steven Smith from playing in this season’s BPL.
The BPL has written to Comilla Victorians, for whom Smith had signed, saying that the majority of the franchises were “not in favour of” including Smith from outside the players’ draft list as a replacement player.
Steve Smith and David Warner will also be able to use next year’s Indian Premier League to prepare for the one-day World Cup after being welcomed back by their respective franchises. Left out of last year’s tournament amid the fallout of the ball tampering saga, the pair will return to the competition next March.
Smith will play for the Rajasthan Royals on the $2.4m contract he was picked up on in last year’s auction. His former vice captain Warner will be back playing for Sunrisers Hyderabad on a similar deal, after he led them to victory in 2016.
There’s got to be consistency, fairness and justice in our selection criteria and so that’s our focus on making the road as smooth as possible,” Cricket Australia (CA) CEO Kevin Roberts said.
“We’ll obviously take their form in those tournaments into account, so that will be important to watch,” Roberts was quoted as saying by ABC Radio.
Smith and Warner were handed year-long bans by CA for their role in the infamous ball-tampering scandal in South Africa in March.
While serving his one-year ban, Smith participated in several domestic T20 competitions, including in Canada and the Caribbean.
“From what I hear around the traps, there’s no concerns with the form of Steve and Dave, so it’s just a matter of that continuing out in the middle as opposed to in the nets,” Roberts said.
And us assessing that, and communicating with them as frequently as possible over these next few months,” he said.
In recent interviews both Cameron Bancroft and Smith made it clear that former vice-captain Warner was the instigator of the ill-fated incident in Cape Town.
But the statements by the two players have received severe criticism former Australian players and officials.
But Roberts denied then skipper Smith and Bancroft’s statements would affect the players’ chance of being brought back into the Australian fold.
“I don’t really know. But I think what’s important is our commitment to that integration process, working with the three sanctioned players,” the CA chief said.
Making sure that we’ve got selection criteria that are the same for all players, whether they are the sanctioned players or not, he added.
“I spoke to Dave on Christmas Eve, or just prior to Christmas, but having spoken to him since the interviews I think Dave’s to be commended for his maturity and the way that he’s handling the situation at the moment, and of course our approach is the same with all three players,” he said.