Pakistan News

Najam Sethi responds on ICC Dispute Panel’s decision against Pakistan

Former Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Najam Sethi termed the International Cricket Council’s decision of dismissing a compensation claim by Pakistan over India’s refusal to honour an agreement to play bilateral series as politically motivated.

“This is a political judgement and has been influenced by Indian politics. India has such strength in the ICC that no one can stand against it. India in the past has threatened to leave and form their own ICC if their demands are not met,” Sethi said while appearing on Geo News programme Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath.

An ex-president of BCCI who is the ICC chairman gave evidence in favour of India, Sethi added.  

It was during Sethi’s tenure that the Pakistan Cricket Board filed the case which centred on a Memorandum of Understanding according to which India and Pakistan had agreed to play six bilateral series from 2015-2023, four of which were to be hosted by Pakistan. The PCB had filed a compensation claim of $70 million.

According to Sethi, both international and local lawyers had been consulted and said PCB’s case was very straying.

“We had no doubt that our case was legally strong but realised that there would be pressure from India. We were not expecting a decision like this and hoped ICC would have said something after which things would have moved forward.”

Earlier, The International Cricket Council on Tuesday dismissed the Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) claim for compensation from the Indian cricket board over its refusal to honour an agreement to play bilateral series.

“Following a three-day hearing and having considered detailed oral and written submissions, the Dispute Panel has dismissed the PCB’s claim against the BCCI,” the ICC said in a statement. “The judgement…is binding and non-appealable.”

The PCB had demanded 70 million dollars in compensation from India, saying that a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2014 had guaranteed six India-Pakistan bilateral series between 2015 and 2023, four of which would be hosted by Pakistan.

Following BCCI’s refusal to play citing the Indian government’s objections, PCB filed a notice of dispute with the cricket’s governing body last November claiming damages from the Indian cricket board.

The MoU was a reward to Pakistan for backing the “Big Three” plan according to which India, Australia, and England had the major share of power and revenues of world cricket.

According to the agreement, the six tours would include up to 14 Tests, 30 one-days and 12 Twenty20 internationals.

However, that arrangement fell apart and the BCCI refused to accept the MoU as a legal document, dismissing it as a “piece of paper”.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top