Pakistan pacer Mohammad Amir has taken an indefinite break from international cricket after reservations with the national team management.
Amir had openly expressed his disappointment on social media after New Zealand tour snub. He had also taken digs at Head Coach Misbah-ul-Haq and Bowling coach Waqar Younis, on Twitter, in the recent past.
Senior ruling party member and a close aide of Prime Minister Imran Khan, Senator Faisal Javed Khan, has advised the cricket authorities to address the concerns of Mohammad Amir, saying Pakistan “should not waste a talented player” like Amir.
Javed expressed on Twitter his opinion on the controversy that hit Pakistan cricket on Thursday, suggesting both parties sit together to sort their differences.
In a shocking statement on Thursday, Amir announced his retirement from the game since he decided to limit himself to white-ball cricket last year.
Javed asked the cricketer to reconsider his decision to quit Test cricket, saying “his age and form still suit him this very format”.
“No emotional decision please,” the senator tweeted.
The left-arm bowler has helped Pakistan to clinch the Champions Trophy title in 2017, but last month he was dropped from the squad to tour New Zealand.
Asked if he was leaving the sport altogether he said: “No, I’m not going away from cricket. If you have seen the atmosphere here and the way I’ve been sidelined, I got a wake-up call when I was not selected in the 35-man squad,” Amir told Samaa TV.
Amir, who has 259 wickets across all formats, had retired from test cricket last year to focus on the white-ball game. He was the pick of the Pakistan bowlers in last year’s 50-overs World Cup in England with 17 wickets as they missed out on a semi-final spot.
Amir added that the only people who supported him were former captain Shahid Afridi and former PCB chairman Najam Sethi.
“Sethi and Shahid Afridi were the two people whom I will thank forever, both of them supported me at a tough time,” he added.
“I returned after completing the sentence of five years, it’s not like I returned after a year… The rest of the team said, ‘We will not play with Mohammad Amir’.”
The PCB said Amir had confirmed to chief executive Wasim Khan that he had “no desires or intentions of playing international cricket” and should therefore not be considered for selection.
“This is a personal decision of Mohammad Amir, which the PCB respects,” it said in a statement.